Downtown – Staunton, Virginia
T. J .Collins designed the Marquis Building on Beverley Street with a corner turret, bay windows, and gable-roofed bays. Together these give this commercial building a commanding presence at the intersection that it rests upon.
Augusta County Courthouse Building is a Beaux Arts style building with a two-story front-bay central portico and one-bay hyphens connecting to one-bay wings on either side. At the crossing is a domed cupola. Extensive ornamentation is in the pediments. Pilasters and capitals are made from a yellow pressed brick that contrasts with the red brick color of the building walls. A stone belt course surrounds the first floor of the building. The building was designed by T.J. Collins and construction completed in 1901.
Even the parking garage is done well. Notice the uses at ground floor to encourage pedestrian activity at street level. The architectural details screen the deck and make it fit in with other nearby buildings. This is also where the Visitor’s Center may be found.