Battlefield – Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
The Globe Inn was one of Gettysburg’s oldest hotel-taverns, originally owned and operated in 1798 by town founder James Getty, and traditionally the unofficial headquarters for the local Democratic party. This political association made the Globe Inn a favorite of Confederate officers during their occupation of Gettysburg. They patronized the Inn for food, drink and lodging to the exclusion of all other hotel establishments (each with a Republican owner). Following the battle, some angry Republican townspeople filed charges against Charles Will and his son John for “haboring Confederates.” The original structure, drastically remodeled over time, succumbed to fire in 1968.
David Wills House
The home of Gettysburg attorney David Wills was the center of the immense clean-up process after the Battle of Gettysburg and where President Lincoln put the finishing touches on his Gettysburg Address, the speech that transformed Gettysburg from a place of death and devastation to the symbol of our nation’s “new birth of freedom.” Not only did David Wills shelter dozens of wounded in his home, but he also helped visitors who came seeking the bodies of their loved ones. He met the challenge posed by the battle and its aftermath, and embarked on a course that transformed both his own life and the Gettysburg community.
In honor of Abraham Lincoln’s 200th birthday on February 12, 2009, the David Wills House opened to the public, offering visitors a world-class museum experience that tells the story of Lincoln and the Gettysburg Address. The museum features six galleries, including two rooms that have been restored to their 1863 appearance: Wills’ office, where he received letters from families looking for loved ones after the battle and began planning for a cemetery and its dedication; and the bedroom where Lincoln stayed and prepared the Gettysburg Address.
Little Round Top
Historic Farnsworth House Inn
The original part of the house was built in 1810, followed by the brick structure in 1833, constructed by John McFarlane. The Sweney family occupied the house during the battle and eventually opened as a lodging home by the George E. Black family in the early 1900’s. Original walls, flooring and rafters remain intact.
During the battle, the house sheltered Confederate sharpshooters, one of whom it is believed accidentally shot Jennie Wade, who died. The south side of the house bears mute testimony to the death and destruction that raged around it. More than 100 bullet holes can still be seen in the wall.
The Loring H. Shultz family purchased the house in 1972 and began a restoration to its 1863 appearance. The house was named in memory of Elon John Farnsworth. On the eve of the Battle of Gettysburg he was promoted from Captain to Brigadier General. Soon after the failure of Pickett’s charge, Kilpatrick ordered a charge of FArnsowrth’s regiments against the right flank of Longstreet’s position. In this ill fated charge, Farnsworth and sixty-five of his men perished.