Historic Preservation Notes +
The college has done an excellent job of preserving this important Albion College landmark. The building and grounds have been well maintained and has become a favorite place to live for upperclassmen students. This demonstrates how valuable a well maintained historic building can be.
The Fiske House is essential to understanding the character of the campus in the final two decades of the 19th century. When completed in 1878 someone sitting on the front porch or in the office on the second floor could see the three main college buildings, North Hall, Central Building, and South Hall. This perspective was likely done by design becauseLewis Ransom Fiske built the house shortly before becoming college president. The house afforded him a view over his campus for the next two decades of his administration. In 1888, the Observatory was added west of the house and quadrangle was formed with closing of Ingham St between Cass and Porter Sts. When future presidents sought alternative residences, Fiske was used for a variety of other functions including private residence and music studio. TodayFiske House is a residence hall for upperclassmen students.
Source: Isaac Kremer, January 2004
Source: Lewis Ransom Fiske, Baccalaureate Addresses Delivered at Albion College, 1898