Raymond M. Laing (1880-1956) and Anna M. (Tyrell) Laing (1879-1958), his wife, purchased the property at 63 McCoy Ave on August 22, 1924. The deed was recorded September 12, 1924, in Book 784 of Deeds for Middlesex County, page 414. Laing worked for the Barber Asphalt Company, before retiring in 1946. His wife Anna May Tyrell (1879-1958) was sister of
Ample street parking has been given way to allow for expanded outdoor dining. The use of linked pop-up tents created sizeable areas in the right-of-way where larger structures would not fit.
This very substantial parklet on South Orange Ave, just over a block away from the South Orange Performing Arts Center provides a nice outdoor seating area near restaurants. The tactical use of large concrete barriers buffers it from nearby parking and traffic on either end. Also, location near a pre-existing bump-out expands the public realm further out beyond the limits
Cooperstown is a wonderful example of a downtown anchored by major destinations – namely the Baseball Hall of Fame and an exceptional natural resource in the form of Glimerglass Lake. Throw in an association with famous literary figure – James Fennimore Cooper – then the stage is set. Most of the historic buildings here are fairly well taken care of.
The arrival of the Krämer family in Michigan followed a common path of immigration starting in Prussia, crossing the ocean, traversing the Erie Canal, and settling in Buffalo. From there families moved westward in search of land and opportunity. Michael Krämer preceded his father to the United States in 1851 and settled first in Buffalo. He married Angela Schweick in
Earlier we recounted the development of Fairmount Park and the key people involved in real estate development in Metuchen, New Jersey, in the early 20th century. Then we gave a tour of the neighborhood looking at the Robinvale neighborhood anchored by a depot that Wright Robins had built for $25,000 to provide better access to this section. Finally, we shared
Earlier we wrote about Wright Robins, the train station he built near Grove Avenue and Henry Street, and his role in the development of the Robinvale neighborhood of Metuchen between Grove Avenue, Woodbridge Avenue, and Jonesdale Avenue. Wright Robins owned the primary house south of Woodbridge Avenue. David Trumbull Marshall around 1930 recounted and remembered Robins and his estate nearly
Papers glowingly reported in July 1897 how Mr. and Mrs. Holden Spear “gave a lawn party for the entertainment of their numerous friends. More than 150 guests were present from Metuchen, this city, and other places, and they were charmed with the splendid hospitality extended to them.”, Tragedy befell them shorty thereafter in October 1899 when Uplands burned to the
Where there are suburban streets and single-family houses today, Metuchen once had a number of sizable estates. While most are long gone their memory lives on in street names and written sources. Uplands was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Holden Spear (Upland Ave and Spear St today), Henry Redfield (Redfield Village Drive), and Wright Robins (Robinvale). Before getting into