Erie St E & W
Brick paving is retained running one block east and one block west from Superior Street. Superior Street from the Lake Shore and Michigan Central Rail Road to Ash Street was paved in 1903. The next project appears to have been in 1910 when Superior Street from Ash Street to Irwin Street was paved.
Albion’s main street until arrival of the MichiganCentral Railroad in 1845. Then the city began to develop on a north southorientation along Superior Street, which intersects Erie near the center oftown. Still, some of the oldest towns and businesses can be seen along ErieStreet. On the west side of town, Erie passes by the OakMeadows and Grandview Heights housing projects. An large empty area of landcan also be seen in the Gasden/Culver street area where several homes weredemolished as part of the West Central Urban Renewal Project. Erie also intersects Albion’s historic downtown and the campus ofAlbion College. On the east side of town, the Michigan Central Railroad and theformer Interurban tracks followed Erie Street outof town. In Winter 2000 residents successfully opposed college plans to demolishseveral historic homes on Erie Street to make way for a large parking lot.
Back to Streets