Fire on August 31, 1919
Bijou Theater, c.1919
Rosenthal Clothing Store, c.1919
Source: National Park Service; Superior Street Commercial Historic District Registration Form. Prepared by Lloyd Baldwin. October 1996.
Image Source: James B. Field, Souvenir of the City of Albion, 1894.
The huge four-story Eslow Block, pictured above in this 1870s photograph, stood as an Albion landmark beginning with its erection in 1869, until a fire in 1919 resulted in the top story being removed. On the far left is the Clift Block, which at the time contained the Charles B. Bogue grocery. Next is the frame building was the Howard Quinlan grocery. Following that is a barber shop, and then the James W. Sheldon Exchange Bank. On the corner is a clothing store, which shows apparel hanging out in front.
Source: Passic, Frank. A Pictorial History of Albion, Michigan; From the Archives of the Albion Historical Society. Dallas, Texas: Curtis Media Corporation. 1991. p 87.
Workers reinforcing bridge between buildings in 2001.
Source: Isaac David Kremer, December 2003