Historical Name: Thomas T. Lloyd Building
Street Address: 203 S. Superior
Block Name: n/a
Building Date: c.1917
Arch. Style: Simple Commercial Brick
The first floor storefront has a white tile base band, with “Sweet Shop” spelled out in black tile and a recessed entry with black and white tile in a checkerboard pattern with the name “Nick’s” spelled in black tiles on a white tile background. Second floor windows are set in a band of five units. These windows are one-over-one and are capped by square transom windows with stone set in a diamond and cross pattern. An ornamental brick band and elongated pediment with limestone accents highlight the cornice line.
This building was formerly a sweet shop. Operated by Nick Demosthenes and Peter Kostianes, it was a favorite place for area children to visit. Now named the Thomas T. Lloyd building, it is occupied by the Albion Community Foundation and the Volunteer Service Center. The Volunteer Center has offices and a conference room on the first floor. The Community Foundation has offices and a conference room on the second floor. In addition to this building, the Lloyd family provided funds for construction of Lloyd Park.