Jesse Crowell began construction of another mill in the spring of 1845. It was rumored that one stone used for the foundations required nine yoke of oxen to transport it to the stone Mill site. Other stones were taken from nearby quarries. Located on S. Superior Street, the mill began production in the summer of 1845.
In 1916, the Stone Mill was sold to the Commercial Savings Bank. The bank converted the mill into its headquarters. The south stone wall from the mill was used in the renovation, and is still visible. The brick elevator was moved to the east side of the alley behind Superior Street, and remains in use today. Recently, it was announced that this historic structure would be demolished to make way for a new medical center.
The Eslow smoke stacks were Albion landmarks for years.
Source: Amanda Campbell and Leslie K. Dick. “Old Mills of Albion, A Photographic History.” 2002.