The bridge spanning the Kalamazoo River was destroyed in the 1908 flood, but rebuilt in 1910. Through the efforts of Mayor Daniel McAulliffe, the 1910 reconstruction added stronger and more numerous piers to support the weight of the buildings projecting over the river from the bridge’s foundation.
Source: National Park Service; Superior Street Commercial Historic District Registration Form. Prepared by Lloyd Baldwin. October 1996.