Albion Interactive History / Stanley S. Kresge Gymnasium

Albion Interactive History

Albion Interactive History / Buildings / Albion College

Stanley S. Kresge Gymnasium, 1925
    Renovated 1938

Block +
US Census Block # 34-118

Historic Designation +
Albion Area Historical Architectural Survey, 1985

Builder +
Leon Claucherty
David Lewis Trine, plasterer

Named for the son of Sebastian S. Kresge, owner of department and variety store business. The youngerKresge had graduated from Albion College in 1923. The catalog stated that “construction of this splendid building will be pushed this summer [1924] and the gymnasium will be ready for occupancy the second semester.” The structure was dedicated November 7, 1925, when it was still not quite completed, the Recorder reports. The cornerstone had been laid the previous June 16 by the man who had made the new building possible. Sebastian S. Kresge began his giving to the college at the start of the third decade of the twentieth century. By December, 1923, he, or members of his family, had contributed $215,000 to the college. These were the beginnings of a great deal of Kresge philanthropy on behalf of Albion. In 1938 a pool in the basement of the Kresge gymnasium was completed. Gildart, 211

Source: Gildart, Robert. Albion College, 1835-1960, A History. Chicago: Donnelley Lakeside Press, 1961.

“The Kresge Gymnasium was constructed in 1925, funded by a generous donation from Sebastian S. Kresge. A swimming pool was later added in 1938” (Passic, 11).

Source: Frank Passic. A Pictorial History of Albion, Michigan; From the Archives of the Albion Historical Society. Dallas, Texas: Curtis Media Corporation. 1991. p 11.

The front stairs of the gymnasium have been back-drop for several outdoorgraduation ceremonies.

View of the facade with porch and engaged columns supporting pediment with a stone medallion.

View towards the Quadrangle from the Kresge Gymnasium porch.

Detail of college seal located in the pediment.


View of Kresge Gymnasium from the north-west corner of the Quadrangle.

Stanley S. Kresge Gymnasium under construction in 1925.

Preliminary sketch of the proposed Kresge Gymnasium.

Stanley S. Kresge initiates the swimming pool in 1938.

Stanley S. Kresge gymnasium, nearly 40 years old when this time-exposure was taken in December 1959.

The Kresge Gymnasium was constructed in 1925, funded by a generous donation from Sebastian S. Kresge. A swimming pool was later added in 1938.

Source: Isaac Kremer, January 2004.

From the Albion College Archives

Kresge Gymnasium

S.S. Kresge Named for Stanley Kresge, who graduated from Albion in 1923 and was the son of Sebastian S. Kresge, a former Trustee and the entrepreneur who built thousands of dime stores all across the United States, later known as K-Marts.

The gym at one time housed the swimming pool in the basement, but that space has now been converted into a very impressive dance studio. The gymnasium itself is used for intramural basketball and volleyball games, which allows the Lomas Fieldhouse to be available for general recreational use of the entire campus community.


Networked Resources
“Alumni, Family and Friends Celebrate Kresge’s 75th Birthday.” (2001, Jan. 22). Albion College News. Retrieved 10 June 2003,
Ewing, Amanda. (1997, Feb. 28). “The evolution of Albion…College Life: 1950.” Pleiad. Retrieved 10 June 2003,

Source: Albion College Archives, 2003 [Downloaded July 3, 2003]

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.