Stanley S Kresge
Albion College Graduate
Class of 1923
Stanley Sebastian Kresge, son of Sebastian Spering Kresge, founder of the S.S. Kresge Company, later known as the K-Mart Corporation, was born on June 11, 1900 in Detroit, Michigan. Stanley Kresge was former chairman of the Board for the S.S. Kresge Company, honorary chairman of the Kresge Foundation, and a former Trustee of Albion College.
Stanley Kresge began his post-high school education in 1918 at the University of Michigan. The Great Influenza Epidemic of 1918 forced him to leave the University for a time when he took ill. Once well, Kresge returned to the University of Michigan for 2 more years, transferring to Albion College for his senior year in 1922.
While at Albion, Stanley Kresge was active in the YMCA Cabinet and the Athletic Club. He played on the 1922 MIAA Albion College championship football team, as well as the baseball team. In 1923, Kresge graduated from Albion College and also married his high school sweetheart, the former Dorothy McVittie.
Stanley and Dorothy Kresge were personal friends with William Whitcomb Whitehouse, the eighth president of Albion College (1945-1960). In his official capacity as president of Albion, Whitehouse had many financial dealings with the Kresge Foundation and with Stanley Kresge himself. One of the most important transactions related to the construction of the Goodrich Chapel in 1958 on the Albion College campus.
This correspondence reflects these relationships with Albion.
The Correspondence series contains letters between Stanley Sebastian Kresge; his wife, Dorothy Eloise (McVittie) Kresge; their son, Walter H. Kresge; the Kresge Foundation in Detroit; and William Whitcomb Whitehouse. Albion College applied for the Kresge Foundation capital improvement grant in letters written on January 2, 1954 and April 13, 1954 by William W. Whitehouse to Stanley S. Kresge, located in Folder 4. Another interesting exchange, found in folder 2, is between Whitehouse and Kresge concerning an update on the construction costs for Goodrich Chapel, dated April 9, 1958 and April 15, 1958.
Source: Albion College Archives, 2003 [Downloaded July 3, 2003]