Delta Tau Delta, 1876
Past Chapter House Locations
Fox Hall, Superior St
Tuttle Hall, Superior St
‘Mud Palace’, 1886-1891
Jocelyn house, corner of Cass and Oswego
1101 Michigan Ave, renamed East Hall after WWII
Albion College campus, 1960s
Epsilon chapter of Delta Tau Delta was installed at Albion in 1876, becomingthe first Greek letter organization established on campus. In the fall of1943, during WWII, twenty-six coeds moved into the Delt house (1101 MichiganAvenue) and it was renamed East Hall until the war ended.
In the 1960s Delta Tau Delta under pressure from college administrators abandoned their chapter house and moved to a new house on campus. The picture above shows the fraternity letters from an outside wall of the on-campus chapter house.
Image Source: James B. Field, Souvenir of the City of Albion, 1894.
Delta Tau Delta house severely damaged by another college fire in 1923.
Source: Keith Fennimore, 1985.
Delta Tau Delta members, 1920. Front row (L-R): D. Black, Clare Boyd, C. bigger. Second row: John Osborn, H. Covert, F. Oals, H. Mansfield, Harry “Red” Cole, R. Rogers, “Doc” Thomas. Third row: Don Herrick, Clarence Green, Arthur Canfield, R. Whitney, Charles E. Finley, Stephen Garfield, S. Smithes, Raymond Hotchkiss, H. Root. Back row: HHarold Dearing, Robert Wochholz, Donald Pahl, Harold Shields, Joseph McAuliffe, Lee Merrimann, Herbert Wochholz, Kenneth Gilbert, L. McDonald.
The Delta Tau Delta fraternity house was located at 1101 E. Michigan Avenue in the former home of professor Delos Fall. The house originally had been erected by Andrew Fitch.It was here that the famous hymn “The Old Rugged Cross” was written by Rev. GeorgeBennard Shaw in December 1912. Floyd Starr,founder of Albion’s Starr Commonwealth, and later his adopted son David Starr,were both members of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity.
Source: Frank Passic. A Pictorial History of Albion, Michigan; From the Archives of the Albion Historical Society. Dallas, Texas: Curtis Media Corporation. 1991.