City Bank and Trust Company, N.A., 1955
The City Bank & Trust Company, N.A. was formed as a result of the merger on March 1, 1955 between the Commercial & Savings Bank of Albion, and the Jackson City Bank and Trust Company. NEwspaper oads of the day prclaimed, “Two Strong Banks Join Hands.” The main headquarters for the new bank was in Jackson, with former Commercial & Savings president H.C. Fox becoming vice-president. Thus total local control of the bank was lost. The City Bank & Trust Company sign was placed over the odl Commercial & Savings name at the top of the Albion branch, at 207 S. Superior St.
Today, the City Bank & Trust Company has become a very large banking concern, with numerous branches in the area, Albion being considered one of them. The building structure remains essentially the same as during the era of the Commercial & Savings Bank. the ornamental cement railings at the top of the building were removed in the early 1960s after being declared unsafe. In 1892, a new 3-lane driivein was built on the south side of the building, after the bank purchased the Homestead Savings & Loan Company building across the alleyway, and demolished it in late 1981.
Source: Frank Passic. Albion’s Banks and Bankers. Albion, Michigan:Albion Civic Foundation. 1985.