Two-story, three bay limestone facade. Elaborate detailing is used, with a shallow portico of Ionic columns in antis supports a full entablature with a modillion and dentil trimmed cornice. Limestone relief swags are used between the columns above first floor windows. There is iron trim around second story windows. The exposed south elevation shows coursed ashlar walls pierced by a bank of segmented arch windows.
Source: National Park Service; Superior Street Commercial Historic District Registration Form. Prepared by Lloyd Baldwin. October 1996.
Stone Mill (on far right) before being converted into a bank.
Source: James B. Field, Souvenir of the City of Albion, 1894.
The Stone Mill on S. Superor St. was a familiar landmark in Albion from the time it was erected until it was reconstructed into the Commercial & Savings Bank in 1916. Even today, the City Bank & Trust Company occupies this historic structure. The mill was built in the spring of 1845 by “Albion’s greatest benefactor”- Jesse Crowell. In this 1915 photograph, the old Stone Mill is depicted on the right with the newer mill on the left. The later was moved one block east off of Superior St. in 1917 to its present location in the Market Place, just east of the alley behind S. Superior St.
City Bank and Trust Company circa 1960. The local bank dates back to 1893, with the organization of the Commercial & Savings Bank. It was first located on the corner of E. Erie and S. Superior Streets, and moved to this location at 207 S. Superior St. in 1917. The Commercial & Savings Bank was merged with the Jackson City Bank & Trust Company in 1955, to form the City Bank & Trust Company.