A bond issue was approved on November 10, 1953, by 735 to 217. The school sold bonds on December 17, 1953 at 2.38% interest. A ten acre site on Cooper street near the newly built Northview Homes was purchased, and on February 8, 1954, construction began on a new “Northwest” elementary school.
On January 18, 1955, the school board named the new elementary building Crowell School, in honor ofJesse Crowell, “Albion’s Greatest Benefactor.” Crowell School completed in the fall of 1955, held its open house on December 9, 1955. With fourteen classrooms, the school was built with modern features and a large playground. The Albion Evening Recorder reported:
The fireplace and “homey” touch in the foyer has been included, Superintendent of Schools George Walkotten explained, because school administrators believe it is entirely worthwhile to give students a sense of security, pride and joy in their school, and because it is believed that better results in school work are generated by pleasant surroundings. (“Open House Sunday at New School,” Albion Evening Recorder, December 9, 1955, p1)
Classes opened on January 3, 1956, and as school boundaries were readjusted, the acute overcrowding that had existed at the Austin School was greatly relieved. Two hundred forty pupils were transferred from Austin School to Crowell School..
In an effort to save money and after much controversy, Crowell School was closed for the 1980-81 and 1981-82 school years butreopened for the 1982-83 year and thereafter. DalrympleSchool, plagued by maintenance problems, was closed permanently in June 1982. Toaccommodate students from Dalrymple School, Crowell School was reopened in September 1982.
Source: Frank Passic. A History of the Albion Public Schools. Albion, Michigan: E. Weil Publishing Services. 1991.