Historical Name:Sheldon Block
Street Address: 314-318 S. Superior
Block Name: Sheldon Block
Building Date: 1872
Arch. Style: Commercial Second Empire
Two-story brick building with a straight mansard roof, centered gable and patterned slate roof tiles. In addition there is a cresting along the roof line. The centered gable facade has two dormers with ogee window surrounds on the third floor and two paired windows with center ogee openings on the second floor. On the West Erie side is a one-story entry hood of decorative milled wood. A distinctive feature of this building is the second floor cornice that is interrupted by the dormer surrounds. This broken cornice is marked by brick dentils. Another distinction is the use of recessed wall panels between brick engaged columns. At the first floor this treatment takes the form of a modified, semi-elliptical arches with brick dentils along the flat arch soffits.
Albion’s first hotel, the Albion House, built in 1836, stood on this site when Erie was considered the main street of the village. The present Mansard-roofed structure was erected in 1872 by James Sheldon. As a successful Albion banker, he intended to create the finest retail establishment in Albion as well as a private resident for himself and his wife. James Sheldon and his wife Mary Peabody Sheldon Ismon lived in the building until the time of James death in 1898. Since the the building has housed a number of tenants, including several drugstore managements, bridal shops, and the old Allen Hotel. The second floor, now vacant, is a luxury apartment formerly used by James Sheldon. Roof damage has prevented restoration of this space.