Albert L. Schumacher
In 1893 Fred and his brother Carl A. Schumacher started working together in construction; they laid out the foundation andbuildings for the Keenan and Hiss foundry (later the Lonegran Manufacturing Company and finally the McGraw Edison Plant on North Clark Street). The youngest Schumacher brother, Albert L., was working on this job as well.
In 1893, the elder Mr. Schumacher, with his sons, built the foundations for the South Superior Street bridge, just north of the cemetery. They also laid the foundations and worked on the brick work for the first units of the Albion Malleable Iron plant. Most of the cut stone foundations around town were done by theSchumacher’s or the Arndts. These men knew the grain of stone, and how to hit it so it would break clean. One could pound a stone all day, and not break it if he didn’t know how to do this.
Fred’s brother Albert L. Schumacher had worked off and on with his brothers, and for himself in the years before as a carpenter-builder, and at this time worked for the construction company as a supervisor and carpenter on various projects, especially during the 1920’s and 1930’s. He was considered to be one of Albion’s finest carpenter-cabinet makers. He built homes at 601 North Division Street, 816 North Superior Street, and 810 North Ionia Street.
In 1919 the Schumacher Construction Companywas formed by Fred W. Schumacher as president in partnership with his son, AlbertF. Schumacher, and son-in-law John Geyer, and the family continued in the construction business. Fred W. did the buying and bookkeeping, John Geyer took charge of all building, and Albert F. took charge of all masonry work. all three worked on figuring for the contracts. “If F.W. built it, it was built to stay!” was their reputation. They never shorted on materials. John Geyer’s brother George had returned from World War I, and had worked awhile at the Malleable, and then went to work as a carpenter for the construction company until his death in 1935. He helped both in construction and supervision.
After Fred W. Schumacher’s death in 1943, his son Albert L. continued working in construction on his own in Albion. Albert L., Fred’s brother, and the last of the four sons of Carl L. Schumacher, became the shop manager of the Albion Lumber Company. (Patricia Geyer. The Building Story. Unpublished Manuscript.)
Source: Frank Passic. Homestead Savings and Loan and the Builders of Albion: One Hundred Years of Service, 1889-1989. Albion, MI: Homestead Savings and Loan Association. 1988.