John Groff, 1844
Died February 24, 1928
John Groff, born March 26, 18444, in New Jersey, came to Michigan in 1846 and to Albion in November 1850. In July 1860, at the ageof sixteen, he began his vocation of carpentry and building at the George Maher Planing Mill.
In the 1880s he formed a partnership with William M. Loder and established a lumber and planing business on East Cass Street under the name of Loder & Groff. In 1886, Loder left the partnership to start his own business, and Groff went into partnership with his brother, Oziel, (1848-1924). The company was known as the Groff Brothers Lumber Yard, and was located at 125 East Cass Street, with a frontage of 160 feet. the firm specialized in lumber, lath, shingles, and planing.
In 1899, John Groff sold his interest in the firm to Fred Herrick, and to his brother, Fred L.D. Groff. The firm became known as Groff and Herrick. It was reorganized into the Albion Lumber Company in February 1904. John Groff died February 24, 1928. P100
Source: Frank Passic. Homestead Savings and Loan and the Builders of Albion: One Hundred Years of Service, 1889-1989. Albion, MI: Homestead Savings and Loan Association. 1988.