Boy Scout Troop #28 was organized in November 1928 and consisted of 30 African-American boys from the west end of town. First Scoutmaster was Edward “Doc” Anderson (1903-1977), who provided fatherly leadership and guidance for many years. He was assisted by several prominent adult leaders of the African-American community. For his years of unselfish and outstanding service, Anderson was awarded the silver beaver award by the Land-O-Lakes Council in 1953. A crane operator at the Albion Malleable Iron Company, and a native of Pensacola, Florida, Anderson is pictured in this 1953 photograph wearing his Silver Beaver award.