The Van Atta House hotel was located where the parking lot of the US Post Office now sits, and was originally erected in 1840. It was known as theParker House for many years, run by hotel operator Thomas T. Parker. Following Mr. Parker’s death it wasacquired by the Van Atta family, who operated it until 1915. At that time the building was sold to the U.S. government in order to build the new post office.
Source: Frank Passic. A Pictorial History of Albion, Michigan; From the Archives of the Albion Historical Society. Dallas, Texas: Curtis Media Corporation. 1991.