Albion Interactive History / Lake Shore Railroad

Albion Interactive History

Albion Interactive History / Transportation

Lake Shore Railroad, 1870 (ca)
 
    Destroyed 1976

The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad was a north-south line whichserved the communities of Hillsdale,
Jonesville, Litchfield, Homer, Albion, Devereaux, Springport, Eaton Rapids,Dimondale, and Lansing. It was
constructed in the early 1870s, and handled much passenger and freight services,as the line passed through rich
agricultural land. 

The Lake Shore & Michigan Southern railroad serviced the Gale ManufacturingCompany, a major Albion employer in
the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The freight office of the Lake Shore railroad was located across the street from thedepot. The structure was later used as a bean elevator for Frank E. Nowlin. The main line had a wooden fence erected next to it, with a spur track to the far left. Following the abandonment of the tracks from Albion to Litchfield in 1943, the former main line in the center became a spur off the New York Central tracks, shown in the extreme right hand corner. The tracks ended just west of the Gale plant. The Gale folded in 1968, and this portion of the old Lake Shore railroad was torn up in 1976. 

The stretch of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad from Springport to Lansing was abandoned in 1940. The
tracks were allowed to remain however, between Albion and Springport in order to service businesses in Devereaux
and Springport. When the US 12 by-pass (now Interstate94) was built north of Albion during 1958-60, a grade crossing was made at the point the highway crossed the tracks. This created a traffic hazard when the trainscrossed during the 1960s. The stretch of tracks from Albion to Springport was abandoned in 1969, and torn up to a point just east of N. Clark St. in Albion.P53


The freight office of the Lake Shore railroad was located across the street from the depot, as shown in this photograph looking east from N. Superior St. The structure was later used as a bean elevator for Frank E. Nowlin.


The Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad serviced the Gale Manufacturing Company, a major Albion employer in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In this scene looking southwest towards N. Albion St., we see the main line had a wooden fence erected next to it, with a spur track to the far left. Following the abandonment of the tracks from Albion to Litchfield in 1943, the former main line in the center became a spur off the New York Central tracks, shown in the extreme right hand corner. The tracks ended just west of the Gale plant. The Gale folded in 1968, and this portion of the old Lake Shore Railroad was torn up in 1976.


The stretch of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad from Springport to Lansing was abandoned in 1940. The tracks were allowed to remain however, between Albion and Springport in order to service businesses in Devereaux and Springport. When the US 12 by-pass (now Interstate 94) was built north of Albion during 1958-60, a grade crossing was made at the point the highway crossed the tracks. This created a traffic hazard when the trains crossed during the 1960s. In this 1959 photo taken during the construction of the highway, we see the location where the tracks crossed the new road. The stretch of tracks from Albion to Springport was abandoned in 1969, and torn up to a point just east of N. Clark St. in Albion.

Source: Frank Passic. A Pictorial History of Albion, Michigan; From the Archives of the Albion Historical Society. Dallas, Texas: Curtis Media Corporation. 1991.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>
*
*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.