The North Ward School, present site of Austin School on N. Clinton Street.
During the year 1869, the school board ordered the creation of three new primary school buildings, patterned after the Marshall primary school buildings. A blueprint used to build a Marshall school was purchased by the Albion board, and construction began. The three primary schools were practically identical in appearance.
By 1911, the old North Ward School was deemed inadequate, and the board of education decided to replace it. The school was demolished, and in its place was constructed the Charles F. AustinSchool, named after the late school board president. The school was constructed by local contractorFred W. Schumacher. Classes opened at the facility in January 1912, and this enabled new assignments to be made. Elementary classes in the Central School complex on E. Michigan Avenue were transferred to Austin School. During the construction period in 1911, classes had already been reassigned.Some were held in the basement of the First Baptist Church on N. Superior Street, and some in the basement of the Salem Evangelical Church on W. Pine Street.
Source: Frank Passic. A History of the Albion Public Schools. Albion, Michigan: E. Weil Publishing Services. 1991.