The North Division schoolhouse was later used by the Salem United Church of Christ until it was demolished in 1929. This photo circa 1920 shows the children standing in Crowell Park, with the former schoolhouse behind them.
A two-story brick schoolhouse was erected in 1849-1850 just north of Washington Park (now Crowell Park), where the rear of the Salem United Church of Christ now stands on W. Pine Street. Primary classes were held on the first floor, with more advanced grades on the second floor.Physiology and grammar were taught in addition to the regular studies. The school was closed in late 1869 when the North Ward School was erected on N. Clinton Street.
The North Division schoolhouse, as it was known after the consolidation into the Albion Union Schools, was subsequently purchased by Albion contractor George W. Maher. The Salem Church purchased the former schoolhouse and property in 1896, and used the structure for church services until their regularchurch building was erected in 1898. The old schoolhouse was attached to the rear of the new church, and was utilized for church socials, prayer meetings, and other functions before it waseventually demolished in 1929.
Source: Frank Passic. A History of the Albion Public Schools. Albion, Michigan: E. Weil Publishing Services. 1991.