Albion Interactive History / Buildings / Albion College
Alumni Field, 1914
US Census Block # 34-201
Albion College Office of Communications, “Irrigation, renovation work underway at Alumni Field“, June 25, 2003
The Albion College athletic field was built upon land originally owned by the College financial agent, William H. Brockway.
It was first known as Winter-Lau Field, named after the two men who donated $1,000 each for the purchase of the land.
The name was changed to Alumni Field when the entrance way was completed in 1914. This was replaced by a new entrance way in 1989.
From 1998-2001 further improvements were made to the track and the area surroundingthe football field. The softball, soccer, and baseball fields were alsoimproved.
Entrance way completed in 1914.
Observe not only the hurdler, but the bleachers in the background (destroyed by fire in 1918). (Fennimore, 1985)
Foundation of a concession stand and locker room for visiting players.
Source: Isaac Kremer, 2001.