Wyandotte Interactive Tour / R.P. McMurphy’s Restaurant and Bar

Wyandotte, Michigan
1854 Wyandotte Village   |   Ford City   |   Glenwood & Mt. Carmel   |   South Wyandotte


9. R.P. McMurphy’s Restaurant and Bar, Biddle 2922, Mehlhose/Schroeder Building, Arts and Crafts, Built 1911
Excellent example of the Arts and Crafts style with colored glass surrounding the Biddle entrance, oriel window on the 2nd floor, and Spanish tile pent roof facing street. Inside the glass harmonizes with wall murals, the dark wood of the bar and rafter overhead, and the tile floors and tile along the walls. Built 1875-1883, 1911.

Three story, brick, with flat roof and parapet on front. Stepped brick work like buttresses on either side of building, in between are red tile shed roof with brackets. Under this is round arched brick work and masonry star medallions set in brick squares, oriel windows supported by brackets on the 2nd story is covered with a red tiled hip roof. Next to this are 2 small windows with diagonal leaded glass (since removed).

Below on the first story, stained glass windows over heavy wooden door on exterior and swinging wooden door between entrance hall and interior. Doors with stained glass and 4 small windows in between doors. Fluted pilasters separate the four windows from the doors. Prismatic glass in transom over entrance, diffracts light and helps to evenly distribute throughout the building.

Wyandotte Historical Society plaque accepted March 26, 1992.