56. St. Josephs Roman Catholic Church and School, Built 1950s, Site of Arbeiter Hall, Built 1890, Demolished
Germans have played a prominent role in Wyandotte from the towns earliest days. Arbeiter Hall stood on the north side of Elm where the parish hall is today. The Arbeiter Society disbanded in 1938 and the hall was sold to the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and subsequently purchased by St. Joseph Church is 1955.
The church was located on the south side of the street where the parking lot and rectory is today. Arbeiter Hall was torn down in the 1960s so the new church could be constructed, and the old church was torn down to make space for parking.
St. Joseph’s Church is a canonical church established in 1870 for German-speaking people. Services were conducted in the German language until 1917. Today the church remains a canonical parish to which people of German ancestry in the downriver area continue to affiliate.