Wyandotte Interactive Tour / Owl’s Korner

Wyandotte, Michigan
1854 Wyandotte Village   |   Ford City   |   Glenwood & Mt. Carmel   |   South Wyandotte


4. Owl’s Korner, modeled after a similar building in London, built 1918
Modeled after the Old Curiosity Shop in London. Formerly the Christian Science Reading Room, but became Owl’s Korner gift shop in 1978. Current owner Mary Ann Buhl (born April 16, 1964) will have owned since June 2001 and is the third generation of retailers in Wyandotte with her grandfather owning a Chrysler car dealership, and her father operating a grocery store.

Half timber exterior and stucco over brick. Pie shaped design with entrance originally at southernmost point, but in the 1960s the entrance was removed from the corner to the side, and replaced with a 3 sided, 1 story, hip roof, glass panel niche. Small bay window on 1st floor east façade, large projecting 2nd floor bay overhead with 6/6 sash window, 3 windows in front, 1 on either side. All bays with wood shake shingle roof overhead.

Stair enclosure on west side of building with roof sloping downward towards street. At top of stairs on 2nd floor is a double hung window with a rectangular surround cover in shingles. Owl’s Korner sign with carved Owl hanging over sidewalk along Biddle Ave.