25. Site of Bishop House and 2nd City Hall, now Bishop Co-Op, Built 1888, City Hall 1936-1967, Demolished 1960s
The house of business leader and philanthropist Jerome H. Bishop stood on this site, built in 1888 and demolished in the 1960s to make way for the Bishop Co-op apartments.
Bishop’s fur products factory was located one block to the east at Superior and Van Alstyne – though at the time Van Alstyne was called Front St. Reportedly steam heating from the factory served his house as well.
Bishop played an active role in civic affairs serving as Superintendent of Schools and mayor, and contributed funds for several churches to be built. He sold land where his factory stood to the city for a discounted price and convinced his neighbor, the Hurst’s, to sell land that they held as well, allowing for creation of Bishop Park.
From 1936-1967 the Bishop House served as Wyandotte’s second City Hall, before the city moved to a third building downtown. Later Bishop’s house was demolished and the current tower was built in its place.