17. Site of Presbyterian Church, Built 1899, Demolished 1991
The Presbyterians constructed their first church in 1859 at the SW corner of Biddle and Chestnut. They replaced this with a new building in 1899 on the NE corner of Chestnut and 1st, the result of a $10,000 gift from Captain John B. Ford to the congregation. This church was sold to Gospel Temple in 1961 and a new church was dedicated at Oak and 23rd St. The building at the NE corner of Chestnut and 1st was demolished in 1991.