Historical Name: Bohm Theater
Street Address: 201 S. Superior Street
Block Name: n/a
Building Date: 1929
Arch. Style: Theater building
This “modern” theater has neoclassical roots in its division into three sections divided by four piers supporting limestone capitals and a limestone stringcourse, and the use of a simple architrave below a parapet capped by a limestone table. Recessed panels finished in stucco are found in the three sections above the first floor and below the string course. Within these panels are window bands of square-head windows with a brick lintel course capped by semi-circular corbelled brick arches. The central window group consists of three openings, the central window is slightly wider and features a slightly higher arch. This grouping is somewhat obscured by the marquee. The flanking window groupings are of five windows set in an arcade. The projecting marquee is a 1930’s replacement. Storefronts flank the central entrance to the theater. Ornamentation consists of terra cotta crosses above windows and limestone medallions inset into a brick band between the string course and architrave.
Prior to the movie house, a grain mill sat on the northern half of this site. That mill has since been moved to the marketplace behind the theater.Following move of the mill, George A. Bohm built the present structure that was completed and formally opened to the public 25 December 1929. It has been a movie house ever since then.Constructed by George Bohm, the theater showed movies and stage shows. On the front of the building the first floor was broken into three sections. There was an entrance and ticket booth in the center, flanked by two storefronts that could only be accessed from the road. A local favorite was the Bohm Saxophone Quartet. In the pit in front of the stage there is an antique organ. Unfortunately, due to roof problems it is not available for use and has fallen into disrepair.There is also a large stage behind the screen in the main auditorium.