Historical Name: Fire House
Street Address: 115 S. Superior
Block Name: n/a
Building Date: 1865
Arch. Style: Commercial building
Two-story, four bay building. Originally the building served as the city fire house but was remodeled for commercial use in 1895. Rectangular windows set in recessed panels. There is no detailing at the cornice, while simple corbelled columns run between the second story windows. The first floor is sheathed with beaded plywood.
A tall alarm cupola loomed above Albion’s main street fire house in the 1880’s. The department was first organized in 1856 as the Old Alert Company, which in the next year one the first-place silver trumpet at Kalamazoo for water throwing distance. In 1878 a hand-drawn steam engine was purchased. The first motorized unit came in 1916, the last horses were retired in 1918. Albion’s second fire house, opposite the present police station, was razed when new quarters were provided in the 1936 City Hall.