Arch. Style:Public Library
501 S. Superior
One-story brick building plus raised basement, capped by a low-pitched hipped roof with broad projecting eaves and exposed rafter ends. The library has a symmetrical facade with a central entrance capped by a fanlight. The entrance is flanked on either side by three broad square-head double windows with transoms. The flanking windows of these bands are shorter, with the lower section marked by raised brick rectangles with limestone corner blocks. Stone insets with raised Arts-and Crafts lantern designs are found below the eaves at the facade corners. Windows are placed directly below the eaves and within shallow wall recesses. All of the windows are set on stone sills. The entrance is reached by stone steps flanked by brick piers. The double entry doors (modern) are capped by a fanlight with a tracery pattern and are flanked by globe lanterns. Above this is a stone panel spelling out “Public Library.” A 1975 addition on the east rear side of the building blends well in size, design, and materials with the original, and doubles the buildings size.
In 1918 the Ladies Library Association moved into the brick structure on this corner built with funds from the Carnegie Foundation. In 1975 the new south wing added two-thirds more space. In the 1880’s this corner was occupied by a stone monument works and a blacksmith’s shop.
Albion Club © 1999, email@example.com