Historical Name: Stone Mill Office (217)
Street Address: 217-221 S. Superior
Block Name: n/a
Building Date: c.1868
Arch. Style: Commercial Italianate
Two-story building, with segmental arched and heavily molded windows carrying decorative stone lintels.The four northern windows feature squared lintels, while the southern are more rounded.
Until 1872, the site where 217 S. Superior stands was Jesse Crowell’s Stone Mill Office. In 1872, the year of Crowell’s death, Samuel Irwin extensively reconstructed the building to become home for the National Exchange Bank of Albion. In 1885 the National Exchange Bank’s charter expired, and the business became known as the First National Bank of Albion. In 1905 the First National voluntarily liquidated and was reorganized as the Albion National Bank. At 12:15am on 2 January 1912 Bank Examiner Herbert Johnson closed the Albion National Bank for carrying out the largest forgery scheme in the country up until that time. In 1981 the Crown Discount Store was in this and an adjoining building, and today Fedco has a similar arrangement.