Arch. Style:Stone Mill
207 S. Superior Street
Two-story, three bay limestone facade. Elaborate detailing is used, with a shallow portico of Ionic columns in antis supports a full entablature with a modillion and dentil trimmed cornice. Limestone relief swags are used between the columns above first floor windows. There is iron trim around second story windows. The exposed south elevation shows coursed ashlar walls pierced by a bank of segmented arch windows.
What is now a bank building, was once a busy flourmill for the Albion Company. It was built in 1845 by Jesse Crowell and converted in 1917 for use by the Commercial and Savings Bank, forerunner of the City Bank. The mill’s massive walls were used in the new structure; traces of masons’ chisels can be readily seen. Products of the mill were shipped to every state in the Union and exported abroad.
Albion Club © 1999, firstname.lastname@example.org