Interactive Downtown Albion / 203 South Superior Street

Historical Name:
Street Address:
Block Name:
Building Date:
Arch. Style:
Thomas T. Lloyd Building
203 S. Superior 
n/a
c.1917
Simple Commercial Brick

Architectural Description
The first floor storefront has a white tile base band, with “Sweet Shop” spelled out in black tile and a recessed entry with black and white tile in a checkerboard pattern with the name “Nick’s” spelled in black tiles on a white tilebackground. Second floor windows are set in a band of five units. These windows are one-over-one and are capped by square transom windows withstone set in a diamond and cross pattern. An ornamental brick band and elongated pediment with limestone accents highlight the cornice line.

Historical Information
This building was formerly a sweet shop. Operated by Nick Demosthenes and PeterKostianes, it was a favorite place for area children to visit. Now named theThomas T. Lloyd building, it is occupied by the Albion Community Foundation and the Volunteer Service Center. The Volunteer Center hasoffices and a conference room on the first floor. The Community Foundation has offices and aconference room on the second floor. In addition to this building, theLloyd family provided funds for construction of LloydPark.

Albion Club © 1999, isaacdavid8@hotmail.com