Superior St N & S
Red brick paved road with white brick center lines and cross walks. This is a reconstruction of a brick roadway originally laid in 1903. The Works Progress Administration sponsored re-bricking in 1940. The roadway was restored again in 1992.
Albion’s main street. Some of the city’s finest homes and commercial buildings are located along this street. Superior has a north south orientation bounded by North St. in the north, and continuing unbounded outside of town to the south. In 1996, several blocks along Superior and adjoining streets were named the Superior Street National Commercial Historic District by the National Trust for Historic Places. This special designation recognized the rich architecture and history in downtown Albion. Residents knew this in 1992, when they successfully fought to have several blocks of deteriorating brick replaced with a new redbrick road, one of the first state trunk lines paved in brick in years. At the south end of town, Superior Street passes over the Kalamazoo River and then past the historic Riverside Cemetery, before passing out of town into the countryside.
Angle parking was legal downtown until the brick repaving project in 1940. This late 1930s photograph shows the Commercial & Savings Bank (formerly the Stone Mill building) in the center, with the first Bohm Theatre marquee on the left.
Back to Streets