State Register of Historic Places
Albion College Informational Designation, ID Number P22681
Significant Dates: Built 1843, 1861
State Register Listed: 05/01/1959
Marker Erected: 09/18/1959
ALBION COLLEGE | Methodists obtained a charter forSpring Arbor Seminary from the Territorial Council ofMichigan in March 1835. Later the institution wasestablished in Albion on land donated by Jesse Crowell, aleading Albion pioneer and benefactor. In 1841 thecornerstone was laid for the first building, and in 1843 theinstitution opened as the Wesleyan Seminary. In 1861 thepower to confer degrees was obtained and the school namedAlbion College. Support from the Methodist Church, a largeendowment, and private sources have contributed to itsgrowth as a strong liberal arts college.
Source: Michigan’s Historic Sites Online, Downloaded 2003.