Carl A. Schumacher
In 1893 Fred and his brother Carl A. Schumacher started working together in construction; they laid out the foundation andbuildings for the Keenan and Hiss foundry (later the Lonegran Manufacturing Company and finally the McGraw Edison Plant on North Clark Street). The youngest Schumacher brother, Albert L., was working on this job as well.
In 1893, the elder Mr. Shumacher, with his sons, built the foundations for the South Superior Street bridge, just north of the cemetery. They also laid the foundations and worked on the brick work for the first units of the Albion Malleable Iron plant.
The Schumachers were in Zanesville, Ohio, from November 7, 1900 until December 1, 1901, building the “Y” bridge there. Carl A. had the contract from the American Bridge Company, and Fred and Carl L. went down to help. It spanned the Muskingum and Liking rivers and has been described in publications about famous bridges as the only “three-ended bridge in existence.” One could cross this bridge and still be on the same side of the river!
After returning to Albion from Zanesville, Carl A. supervised the building of the residence of Harry B. Parker, then president of Albion Malleable Iron Company. This is the Georgian brick residence at the northeast corner of Michigan Avenue and Huron Street (No. 501), which is now owned by Albion college.
Source: Frank Passic. Homestead Savings and Loan and the Builders of Albion: One Hundred Years of Service, 1889-1989. Albion, MI: Homestead Savings and Loan Association. 1988.