City of Albion Mayor +
Accomplishments as Mayor
- Additions to Albion
- Irwin and Hodges Addition to Albion, 1890
Eugene P. Robertson was born near Albion on August 23, 1841, and received hiseducation in the Little RedSchoolhouse. He received further education at AlbionCollege and the University of Michigan, and became actively involved incommunity affairs. In 1863 he joined the banking firm of Mayhew & Irwin as aclerk, but left that concern after a few months to join Sheldon’s bank, where heserved as head cashier. Robertson later went into partnership with Sheldon.
Robertson served as president of the Village of Albion, as mayor in 1890, andas treasurer. He was also actively involved on the school board, and was thedirector and treasurer of several industries in the city. From 1891 to 1892, heserved as the treasurer of the Michigan Banker’s Association. He died in Albionon December 31, 1916, at the age of 75. At the time of his death, flags in thecity were lowered to half-mast. He was buried in the Robertson family plot in Riverside Cemetery, just east of the cemetery office building.
Source: Frank Passic. Albion’s Banks and Bankers. Albion, Michigan:Albion Civic Foundation. 1985.
Eugene P. Robertson was a banker at the Albion ExchangeBank, that was reorganized to become the Albion State Bank in 1895. It was Robertson who instituted a school savings department for students, in which pupils would save money and deposit it into the Albion State Bank. None anticipated that the youths of that day, would as adults see the bank fail in 1931, with theirsavings frozen and portions lost forever. Robertson served on the school board for many years, and was board president during the 1885-86 school year.
Source: Frank Passic. A History of the Albion Public Schools. Albion, Michigan: E. Weil Publishing Services. 1991.