Belle Pratt, 1875
Albion College Graduate
Class of 1898
Belle Pratt was born in Tekonsha, Michigan, to George T. and Mary R. Pratt on December 22, 1875. She graduated from Tekonsha High School in 1895, and then came to Albion to attend Albion College, graduating in 1898. She attended summer school at various times at Columbia University, the University of Wisconsin, and the University of Chicago. She taught school in Quincy, Reed City and Sturgis, Michigan, until 1909, when she returned to Albion as the history, Latin and English teacher at the high school.
Belle served as assistant principal and dean of girls for several years, as well as the adviser and sponsor of several school clubs. She was very active in the First Methodist Church, served as a member of the Library Board for several years and belonged to the Hannah Tracy Grant chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, holding several offices before becoming regent in 1943. During World War II Belle received certificates for work on a surgical dressings project. She also worked at the Office for Price Administration, and on registration and rationing boards in Albion.
Belle and her sister Georgia lived on Jackson Street for many years. The two women donated an electric bell ringer to the original Methodist Church on Erie Street, which now hangs in the Goodrich Chapel Tower. Their last years were spent in the Clark Memorial Home in Grand Rapids.
Source: Albion Public Library, Local History Room
From: Albion AAUW. Some Notable Women of the Albion Area. Albion, Michigan: American Association of University Women. 1998.
Belle Pratt taught Latin, History, and English at Albion High School from1909 until 1941. She was very active in extra-curricular activities, and it was under her guidance that the girls “A” Club was formed. Over 200 persons attended her retirement reception in May 1941.
Source: Frank Passic. A History of the Albion Public Schools. Albion, Michigan: E. Weil Publishing Services. 1991.