O’Donoughue was born April 13, 1832 in Bergen, Genessee County, New York. Heobtained his medical degree from Albany College in 1853, and came to Albion in1855, practicing medicine until 1861. After serving as a surgeon for theMichigan Engineers and Mechanics Regiment in the Civil War, he returned toAlbion and engaged in the drug and book business until 1871, and later in othercommercial enterprises. He became vice-president of the National Exchange Bankof Albion around 1870.
From 1881 to 1886 he was secretary and treasurer of the Albion ManufacturingCompany. He also was a member of the village board and played a major role inthe establishment of an electric plant for lighting. He served on the board ofdirectors of the Albion Malleable IronWorks. O’Donoughue made his home at 514E. Erie St.
O’Donoughue served as president of the Albion National Bank when it waswrecked by Henry M. Dearing in 1912. Mr. O’Donoughue died in his home at 514 E.Erie St., on Saturday, March 13, 1915, at the age of 86, having suffered from astroke a month earlier. He is buried at RiversideCemetery.
Source: Frank Passic. Albion’s Banks and Bankers. Albion, Michigan:Albion Civic Foundation. 1985.