Founded in 1898, the firm of George Mitchell & Co. was a well-known confectionery/ice cream “hangout” in Albion until it closed in 1956. Mitchell was a native of Turkey, and operated his store at 219 S. Superior St. until his death in 1933. At that time the business was continued by Sam Vifiadis.
Source: Frank Passic. A Pictorial History of Albion, Michigan; From the Archives of the Albion Historical Society. Dallas, Texas: Curtis Media Corporation. 1991.