George Maher, 1823
Maher’s Planing Mill, located on the west side of North Superior Street, just south of the Michigan Central Railroad tracks, was an active business concern in the middle and late 19th century. Maher had come to Albion from Concord in 1847, and was engaged in the lumber business. His firm was a major source of lumber and related items used in the construction of homes and businesses in Albion from the 1850s to the early 1890s. Maher was also in the construction trade, and built such edifices as the Callahan Block in 1868, Central High School in 1872, and the adjoining wings of the school in 1885. His home was built in the late 1860s and originally stood on the site of the Parker Inn, but was moved in 1925 to 314 Burr Oak Street to become an apartment house, and still stands.
Dr. Elmore Palmer remembered Maher in his “Biographical Sketches”: He was a first-class mechanic and the rapidly growing villagegave him plenty of opportunity to exercise his ability and skill. He was a man of industrious habits.” Maher’s lumber building was demolished after his death, and the large brick Hurley Clock was erected on the site, which stands today. (Dr. Elmore Palmer. “Biographical Sketches.” Albion Mirror July 10, 1908.)
Source: Frank Passic. Homestead Savings and Loan and the Builders of Albion: One Hundred Years of Service, 1889-1989. Albion, MI: Homestead Savings and Loan Association. 1988.