Albion Interactive History / People / Miriam Krenerick

Albion Interactive History

Albion Interactive History / People

Miriam E. Barker Krenerick, 1882
    Died 1957

Miriam Krenerick was born September 26, 1882, to Willard and Carrie Easterly Barker, in Emmett Township near Battle Creek. She attended country schools in the early grades, then graduated from Battle Creek High School. She received her bachelor’s degree cum laude in sociology and later received a master’s degree in education from Colorado State Teachers College. She taught school in Denver for fifteen years.

Miriam married William A. Krenerick, an Albion industrialist, in 1919. After moving here, she taught at the Albion High School for three years.

Already a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and the White Shrine of Jerusalem, Miriam joined several other clubs in Albion. She was affiliated with the Albion Women’s Club, Entre Nous, and the Albion Civic Chorus. She was prominent in the First Presbyterian Church, its choir and its Ladies’ Aid Society. She later joined the Twentieth Century Club and the First Methodist Church. She served as president of the Calhoun County Federation of Women’s Clubs and the Southwestern Michigan District Federation. She was chairman of library extension and historical committees of the Michigan State Federation.

Miriam was instrumental in organizing the Three-Quarters-CenturyClub, composed of persons 75 years or older, which she served as secretary-treasurer. She encouraged the last of Albion’s Civil War-era veterans and others to reminisce at monthly meetings. She served as editor of Albion’s Milestones and Memories, a book published in 1932, and chaired the centennial pageant in 1935, three years after the actual centennial. She wrote several articles for the Albion Recorder’s “Centennial Column.”

From: Albion AAUW. Some Notable Women of the Albion Area. Albion, Michigan: American Association of University Women. 1998.

Mrs. Krenerick is a graduate of the Colorado State Teacher’s College, and was a teacher before her marriage to William A. Krenerick, in 1919. She came to live in Albion, February, 1920, and became interested in the history of Albion through a picture of early pioneers, in which appears Mr. Krenerick’s grandfather, Adam Krenerick, who came to Albion in 1853.

Miriam E. Krenerick was appointed by Mrs. G.P. Brown, president of the Albion Federation of Women’sClubs, to investigate creation of the Three-Quarters-Century Club. After the close of Mrs. Brown’s administration, the Club became an independent club on September 26, 1920, still preserving its associations with the Albion Federation and receiving assistance frommany organization and individuals in the community caring to help it. Mrs. Krenerick was elected chairman of the club, and in 1831 became secretary-treasurer of the club, at the close of Mrs. Eldridge’s two years of service.

Mrs. Krenerick is much interested in the preservation of pioneer relics, old map, pictures, valuable manuscripts, books, etc., and hopes eventually, that Albion may have a permanent housing place, for man of its priceless treasures, perhaps a city museum might be established. This has been stressed in the Three-Quarters-Century Club, also thevalue of leaving on record authentic biographies or autobiographies.

Source: Miriam Krenerick. Albion’s Milestones and Memories. Albion, MI: Art Craft Press. 1932.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.