Emmett C. Godfrey, 1878
Died November 3, 1958
In 1936 Emmett C. Godfrey (1878-1958) purchased the Albion LumberCompany. A native of Quakertown in Parma Township, Godfrey moved with his parents to Elkhart, Indiana, in 1893, where his father entered the lumber business. Godfrey operated a lumber firm in Sturgis from 1927 until he came to Albion in 1936.
Emmet Godfrey engaged in contracting as well as lumber retailing. He developed the Sunnyside Court addition east of town. He also built five houses in the South Dalrymple and Irwin Avenue area, including his own at 612 Irwin Avenue. John Geyer did the construction on Godfrey’s home. Godfrey sold the Albion Lumber company to John and Robert Geyer in June 1946, and retired. He died November 3, 1958.
Source: Frank Passic. Homestead Savings and Loan and the Builders of Albion: One Hundred Years of Service, 1889-1989. Albion, MI: Homestead Savings and Loan Association. 1988.