Horace Blackmar Farley, lineal descendant from Sir Henry Blackmar, who settled in RhodeIsland in 1620, was born in a log cabin near the center of Albion township, May 8,1848 and lived continuously for more than 82 years in or near the place of his birth. He was the son of David F. Farley and Rosina Blackmar Farley, whose ancestors at one time owned nearly all of Rhode Island.
In 1836, David Farley, a native of New Jersey, came to Michigan from Canandaigua, New York, and settled for a time at South Lyon. Here he met Miss Blackmar, a young school teacher, one of a family of 13 children, and in 1837 they were married. They came to Albion township in 1841, where they established a home about three-quarters of a mile west of the present Farley fruit farm and built later the frame house where he and his wife and family lived for many years.
Four children were born, of whom Horace B. Farley was the youngest. His pioneer father took up land from the government and was active in helping other settlers clearaway the forests. The children attended school in the LittleRed School House located where the present Farley school stands and where not only Horace Farley, but Frances Emery, who later became his wife, and all of their children learned their first lessons.
Mr. Farley later was a student at Albion College when George B. Jocelyn was president and at a time when the enrollment numbered about 260. The three original college buildings and the old Bell House were all that graced the campus.
In November 18, 1874, he married Frances Emery and lived in an added portion of his father’s residence for a time, where their four children were born. The sons of Mr. and Mrs. H. B. Farley, Minard and Garfield, continue farming in the same vicinity. They have nine children, George, Martha, Minard Jr., Irene and Nancy, belonging to the former, and Horace B.,Ellen , Robert, and Margaret to the latter family. One daughter died a number of years ago, and another daughter, Miss Irene Farley, resides in the Albion home, into which Mr. Farley moved in 1906. Here, in November 1925, surrounded by their three children and grandchildren, Mr. and Mrs. Farley celebrated their golden wedding.
Source: Miriam Krenerick. Albion’s Milestones and Memories. Albion, MI: Art Craft Press. 1932.