Culver, Mary M., 1878
Mary first came to Albion to spend a year as superintendent of the old city hospital on West Ash Street, then left to work in Elkhart, Indiana. When Sheldon Memorial Hospital was built, she returned to become its first superintendent, serving from 1924 to 1929. She also headed the nurses’ training school which came into existence at that time. In this capacity she became widely known and much beloved by many Albion residents.
In 1929 she married Frank Culver, who was serving as the mayor of Albion at the time. She had one son from a previous marriage and nine stepchildren from her second.
Source: Albion Public Library, Local History Room
From: Albion AAUW. Some Notable Women of the Albion Area. Albion, Michigan: American Association of University Women. 1998.