From the time it opened and for twenty-five continuous years, North School’s only principal was Frances Caldwell, a Springport resident who taught in the Albion Public Schools. Caldwell began her teaching career in Muskegon, where she taught nine years before coming to Albion in 1945. Caldwell had taught first grade at the Gardner Grade School, before being named North School’s principal. Shereceived her education at Eastern Michigan University, and a M.A. degree in educational administration from Michigan State University.
Caldwell was noted for her insight and awareness of children’s needs, and succeeded in gaining cooperation from parents, teachers, and students. She also served as principal of Austin School during the 1966-67 school year. Caldwell retired as principal of North School in June 1977. A special open house was held in her honor on May 1, 1977. Over 200 persons attended the reception in the gymnasium, where in special session, the school board met and unanimously voted to rename North School as the Frances Caldwell Elementary School. The crowd let out a heavy applause upon witnessing the board’s action, which was a total surprise to Mrs. Caldwell.
Source: Frank Passic. A History of the Albion Public Schools. Albion, Michigan: E. Weil Publishing Services. 1991.