Albion Historical Society, 1955
Through the efforts of mayor Charles Hughes, the Albion City council, Vernon Bobbitt (an art professor at Albion College), and a group of interested citizens, the Albion Historical Society was organized on September 29, 1955. The first meeting was held in the log skating rink cabin at Rieger Park. Featured speaker was Henry D. Brown, a former Albionite who was the director of the Detroit Historical Museum. J. Clifford Smith was elected as the Society’s first president. Smith was a local insurance man and photographer.
In May of 1966, the Albion Historical Society purchased the historic home of 19th century hardware merchant, Augustus Porter Gardner at 509 S. Superior St. Long neglected, the Victorian brick structure required extensive repairs in addition to new wiring, plumbing, and theinstallation of gas heat. Albion Historical Society president Vernon L. Bobbitt supervised the restoration. He was one of the founders of the Society, and served as its president on twooccasions. He also volunteered his time as Museum curator from 1979 to 1985.
Four old times gathered together on February 5, 1957 at the Albion Historical Society to personally relate their recollections of 19th century Albion. From left to right are: O. Harry Gale (1870-1960), Fred Gress (1864-1962), Marge Gress, moderator; DeWitt Foskitt (1868-1959), and Garfield Farley (1880-1972). This meeting was preserved by recording (notice the microphone on the floor in front of the table), and audio reproductions of this meeting are still available today.
Source: Frank Passic. A Pictorial History of Albion, Michigan; From the Archives of the Albion Historical Society. Dallas, Texas: Curtis Media Corporation. 1991.