Albion Interactive History / Organizations / Downtown Development Authority

Albion Interactive History

Albion Interactive History / Organizations

Downtown Development Authority
 
    

The Downtown Development Authority (DDA) was established by order of the Albion City Council in1988, with the purpose of revitalizing the city’s central business district. Since that time, the DDA hassuccessfully completed a number of projects, including repaving the city’s main street with historic brickpavers, planting new trees along the main street, and revitalizing a downtown park.

The DDA seeks to correct and prevent deterioration in the downtown business district, to encouragehistoric preservation, and to promote the economic growth of the DDA district. As such, the DDAstrives to make the downtown area a vibrant space that will attract local residents and boost commercein the district.

Current projects the DDA is conducting include the installation of plantings throughout the downtownarea and the redevelopment of a riverfront plaza that is adjacent to the downtown area. The DDA hasaccomplished a great deal in its short existence, including the repaving of the city’s main street withbrick pavers, the installation of historically sensitive lighting and trash receptacles, the refurbishing of ariverfront park, and the planning of social events which draw area residents to the downtown area.The DDA Board meets the second Tuesday of each month at 7:30 A.M, in the Mayor’s office of CityHall.


Website: www.dda.albion.mi.us

Purpose: To conduct downtown development activities in accordance with the provisions of PA 197 of 1975, as amended, including but not limited to, the definition of a development area, the creation and implementation of a development program, etc. (The power to levy and collect a tax according to Section 12(1) of 1997 is not included.)

Established: This agency is created to help a deteriorating downtown restore itself. The governing board is comprised of the Mayor and at least eight and not more than 12 other members (now set at Mayor and ten others through a 1999 bylaw amendment); a majority must have an interest in property located in the downtown area and at least one member shall be a resident of the downtown area, MCL Section 125.154. This is a municipal corporation, which the City created in April 1988 when the Council adopted Ordinance 88-2. (Now Code Sections 34-26 through 34-33). The Council approves its budget and bylaws. Except for the statutory and ordinance restrictions – residency of the appointees to this board is within the discretion of the appointing authority.

Membership: Eleven members as determined by Downtown Development Authority Bylaws. A majority of members must have an interest in property within the DDA district. One member shall be a resident of the district. The Mayor is a voting member by virtue of office. Appointed by Mayor with confirmation by City Council.

Term: Four years

Meetings: Second Tuesday of month at 7:30 a.m.

Compensation: None

Directors
Elizabeth Porter, June 1999-2002
Nidia Wolf, 2002-present

Membership
Gordon Pahl (G. Pahl Jeweler), 12/16/1996 to 12/31/2004, 108 S. SuperiorLeroy Schmidt, 10/19/1998 to 12/31/2002, 1201 E. Michigan, Precinct 5Nidia Wolf (Wolf’s Auto Repair), 1/20/1998 to 12/31/2002, 116 E. Erie, Precinct 3Becky Mitchell, 06/01/1998 to 12/31/2004, 1620 VanWert Rd.
Mike Tymkew (Murray/Tymkew), 10/19/1998 to 12/31/2002, 1207 Woodlawn, Precinct 3Jeff Bell (Homestead Bank), 08/16/1999 to 12/31/2003, 415 S. Superior
William Wheaton, Mayor, Ex-Officio Voting Member appointed in 1999
Greg Rice, 12/20/1999 to 12/31/2003, 910 Irwin Ave., Precinct 3Jim Cascarelli, 12/17/2001 to 12/31/2005, 116 S. Superior, Precinct 6David Weeks (Team One Plastics), 12/17/2001 to 12/31/2005, 917 Luther Drive, Precinct 3Lorene Gant, 12/17/2001 to 12/31/2004, 307 Arthur, Precinct 1Kevin Markovich, appointed 1/03Becky Smith, appointed 2/03

1991 DDA

Michael Tymkew, Chairperson
Leroy Cage
Dr. Robert Dininny
Nicholas J. Jacobs
Herman Knuth
Lois McClure
Steve Thompson
David Weeks

Source: City of Albion, 2001.